Friday 2 January 2015

2014 After Action review

2014 After Action Review

And so it is another year passes and we enjoy the opening of 2015. No doubt crossing that line in the sand, as the clock passed to 0001hrs many set the resolution to change, commit, get focused and achieve their goals. Here’s the thing, what underpins the why, the drive to change, do things differently? What drives the decision in the first place? Is it a level of dissatisfaction, not managing to achieve what you set out 12 months previously? Setting the bar too high and being unable to reach it?

I firmly believe in the formula for success ‘Dream – Goal – Learn – Plan – Act’ and when it is fully applied it will result in success. I’m also a firm advocate of ‘feedback not failure’, failure is a state of mind, whilst feedback can open your eyes to different opportunities. This has shaped my dreams for 2015 and set my personal and business goals, From my military service I have continued to reap the benefits from taking a look at the rear view mirror.  Conducting the After Action Review (AAR).

In the military context the after action review forms the critical part of the planning and execution cycle, to put it into context it is the ability to revisit, review and learn from the actions and experiences of specific activity over periods of time. The AAR is a function which is effectively applied at all levels from the operational end of tour AAR or short training exercise AAR. It isn't the role of the senior officers (CEO),rather a collective review conducted at all levels. It enables a complete detailed review in order to build on lessons learnt, best practice and ensure the entire organisation applies the findings. The key to the success of AAR is the application of the recommendations and conclusions in the following planning cycle. It also majors on the effect of experiences from all levels and takes a 360 view.

And so after a year it is time to conduct my after action review. What does your after action review look like? As I review my business plan and my personal aspirations from 2014 it allows me to make informed decisions for 2015. Looking towards my dreams for 2015 and beyond I can see, with clarity where and what I will aspire to and achieve in the long term; to be precise 4 years from now, and indeed having a vision to 10 years from now.

Looking back over 2014 there are some simple pointers to consider as you look to the future: 
  • What are the real big dreams and how much closer has 2014 brought you to them.
  • Have you defined the little dream? Remember it’s not all about the big stuff, the little things make a big difference in the long run and lead to achieving the big dreams.
  • With clarity in your dreams you can then strive to set the goals to achieve them.
  •  Make sure your goals are SMART.
    • Specific, when making your goal be as specific as you can in what it is.
    • Measurable, how will you measure progress?
    • Achievable, you must be able to achieve the goal. No point in setting out to achieve the unachievable!
    • Results orientated, having a distinctive outcome.
    • Time based, without setting a time to have the goal achieved it will simply be something to do.
  • In order to achieve the goals what do you need, what’s the learning required:
    • I may need to do more of…….
    • Which may mean I need to stop or do less of……
    • I may need to associate or meet with…..
    • I may need to stop associating or meeting with……
    • I may need to learn……
    • I may need to read……
    • I may need to be focused on…..
    • I may need to have greater self-discipline with…..
    • I may need to commit to…..
·        With the learning the plan can be shaped to achieve the goals.
·        All that is left is to act.

So how 2014 was and what can you learn to further your journey towards your goals in 2015 and your dreams beyond?


Here's looking to the future.
Happy New Year 

No comments:

Post a Comment